Erin Hammond is a trial and appellate lawyer who trained at one of the top law schools in the country. She has achieved a track record of outstanding results for her clients during her 17 years in practice.
On each of her cases, Erin cultivates creative and efficient solutions to the problems presented. This reflects her firm commitment to client service and to lawyering with integrity, common sense, and reasonableness. Often Erin’s approach allows for strategic advantage in settlement negotiations or motions for summary judgment. However, in appropriate cases, it has also led to very favorable verdicts for her clients in trial, arbitration, or on appeal.
Erin’s talents were recognized by the Washington State Bar Association when she was asked to helm its Trial Advocacy Program. Through the program, she taught persuasion and courtroom advocacy skills to dozens of lawyers and also collaborated with sitting superior court judges. Erin has been recognized by her colleagues, and was named a Super Lawyer Rising Star seven times by Washington Law & Politics Magazine, an honor reserved for the top 2.5% of eligible attorneys. Washington’s statewide civil defense lawyers’ organization of over 700 members, the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers, has also recruited her to its Board of Trustees, and recently elected her President.
Erin is experienced in numerous practice areas, primarily focusing on high exposure complex litigation.
Current Practice Areas
- Professional Liability
- Defense of Licensing Actions before Health Care Commissions and Boards
- Employment Counseling and Litigation
- Personal & Catastrophic Injury Litigation
- Family Law
- New York University School of Law - J.D., 1998
- Washington State University - B.S. Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1995
- Admitted to Washington State Bar
- Admitted to U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Admitted to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Articles & Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Ethics; Pacific NorthwestDentalConference, Washington State Dental Association (2014, 2016)
- Author, 2011: Medical Malpractice Year in Review; Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Defense News (2012).
- Author, Supreme Court: Express Findings Required on Witness Exclusion; Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Defense News (2011)
- Author, Sarcasm in the Court: Does it Have a Place?; DRI The Voice of the Defense Bar (2010)
- Author, Tegman Update: The Washington Supreme Court Lets Rollins v. King County Metro Transit Stand; Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Defense News (2010)
- Author, Ambach v. French: Personal Injury Damages Do Not Trigger CPA; King County Bar Association Bar Bulletin (2009)
- Speaker, Annual Tort Law Update: Updates in Medical Malpractice Cases (2008)
- Author, 50 State Compendium on the Duty to Warn: Washington Warnings Law; DRI Publications (2008)
- Speaker, Effective Federal Pre-Trial Practice: Initial Considerations in Federal Civil Practice and Initiating a Case in Federal Civil Court (Plaintiff and Defense) (2008)
- Speaker, Rules and Procedures for Federal Court Success: Prepare to succeed in Federal Court and Selected Issues and Answers for Success in the Federal Court System (2008)
- Lead Co-Author, ALFA International Construction Law Compendium: Washington (2007)
- Speaker, Building Your Civil Trial Skills: How to Select the Right Jury for Your Case (2006)
- Co-Author, “Washington State Motor Vehicle Product Liability Law Overview,” ALFA International Products Liability Newsletter (2006)
- Instructor, Washington State Bar Association Trial Advocacy Program (intensive 12 week program, Fall 2002, 2003, and 2004)
- Board of Trustees, Past President, Director & Officer, Pro Bono Amicus Curiae brief author, Past Chair of Practice Development and Programs, Chair of Membership, Chair of Professional Liability, Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (2008-Present)
- Washington Law & Politics Rising Star® 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Pro Bono Appellate Attorney, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Pro Bono Panel (2005-Present)
- Member, Tort and Insurance Law and Litigation Committees, American Bar Association (1999-Present)
- Past-Chair of ADR Publication, Member Trial Tactics Committee, Defense Research Institute (2002-2011)
- King County Bar Association (1999-2011)
- Chair, YLD Trial Advocacy Program (2002, 2003, and 2004), Mentor Lawyer (2006-Present), Adjunct Investigative Counsel Panel (2008-Present), Washington State Bar Association
- Member, Pierce County Superior Court Community Accountability Board (2003-2005)